Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The big 22! (Not as fun as turning 21 but oh well)



Well everyone... This week was my 22nd birthday! Man, I am getting old. I mean, 22 isn't old but i feel old! I think I should be turning 62 or something! Anyways, my birthday was a phenomenal day. I started my day off with class and some basketball practice. Class is always so fun, not. After basketball though is when things got fun. We realized that Jimmer's All-Stars were practicing after us so some of my teammates and I thought we'd watch them practice. Some of the All-Stars consisted of Jimmer (obviously), Kemba Walker, Kenneth Faried, Nolan Smith, Jackson Emery, and so many more! It was such a fun time to watch these amazing basketball stars play. And this was JUST practice! Later that day I went to a team dinner with Daryl's soccer team and my family. It was so fun! The dinner was at Jackie Yarro's house and she made the most amazing salad and chili! It was so yummy! After dinner we went back to the Gypsy lair and had some cake and ice cream and of course some chips and Dr J's salsa! It was such a fun night with some friends and family and a perfect way to spend my 22nd birthday!

The following day I was doing my normal Thursday routine. Class then basketball. There was a confusing moment of phone calls and text back and forth between my Dad and I about me meeting with the athletic director Tom Holmoe. He told me not to worry about it and it was going to happen another day. So I continued working out when one of my coaches came in and told me I needed to go meet with Tom right now. I was so confused once again wondering why Tom wanted to meet with me. I was really nervous and afraid I was in trouble for some reason. My strength coach didn't help when he told me the only time he was pulled out of a workout was because he was trouble. I was panicking walking over there. As I walked up to the offices I was surprised to see just about everyone in the athletic department including athletic trainers, promotional people, my coaches, and everyone behind the athletics gathered. Tom was there and wished me a happy birthday and gave me a gift. Tom and Chad Lewis had hiked Mt. Timpanogas and taken a BYU flag up the mountain and hiked down with it. After that they had a ton of the athletes and coaches sign the flag then presented the flat to me and a picture of Tom, Chad, and the flag up on top of the mountain. This was such a kind gesture of them to do!
Later that night was the Jimmer's All-Stars game! It was so amazing to see such good quality basketball. It was the typical All-Star game. Lots of 3 pointers, lots of dunks, and lots of cheering. My new favorite playing is Kenneth Faried aka "Manimal." This guy is such an amazing player. He was a lot of fun to watch along with all the other playrs. It was a great way to continue the birthday celebration!!!
Friday night was the BYU football game against UCF. It was nice to come out with a win after the prior weeks game against Utah. The game got a little chilly which I was not very happy with! That means winter is coming and I hate the cold! But it was a fun game and its always a good weekend when the cougars come out with a Win. I was thinking of all the pros and cons of it becoming winter time and to be honest, they balance each other out.

Pros:
  • Basketball Season starts
  • I can wear my jeans and jackets without dying of heat
  • Hot chocolate!
  • Mocasin Time
  • Sweats everyday :)
  • Since I can't go outside, I get to cuddle up and watch movies
Cons:
  • Its freezing outside!!
  • I can't wear my shorts
  • I have to wear MULTIPLE layers
  • My shoes get dirty from the slushy snow
  • Its freezing outside!!
  • Theres snow and ice everywhere... and lastly...
  • ITS FREEZING OUTSIDE!!
Well in the end, I hate the winter time! I need to move somewhere with no winter and no snow wheres its 80 degrees year round. The nice is during basketball season we get to go to Hawaii for a week. In exactly 62 days, I will be in Hawaii while Utah is freezing! I cannot wait. Anyways, I had a great Birthday and weekend. Thanks to all my friends and family who made it a memorable one. Now, its time for my Sunday nap then lots of homework! My next check up is in 4 weeks so I need to have as much fun as I can in the next 4 weeks before I have to head back up there. Love you all!

Love,
Alexis


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Alexis!
Love, Dad